Rich's Quest For Flight


My father was a pilot. He died doing what he loved to do. It has been a goal of my life to become a pilot. Now I have chance to do so. Follow me as I pursue my dream.


Sunday, July 09, 2006

KRYV 092357Z AUTO 25007KT 10SM SCT060 SCT110 27/22 A2981 RMK AO2

Today was a watching day. Watching the weather, of course. The day started off clear, but ominously humid. As the heat built up during the day, clouds started appearing overhead and storms started to fire up north and west. I resisted washing any cars, for fear of disturbing the rain gods. I had the plane reserved for 6 p.m., and it wasn't looking good.

A light shower passed overhead as I pulled into the airport parking lot. Adam met me inside and we agreed that I should just fly around the patch a few times. He said he's be leaving shortly and bid me a good flight.

I got the plane pre-flighted as quickly as I could, and I fired it up and made my way to Runway 23. The skies seemed to be getting darker by the second. The winds were well within my parameters, though, and I pulled onto the runway and pushed the throttle in. She was up quickly and I was on my way. I turned to crosswind at 1500' MSL, then to downwind a few moments later. And then....

A lightning bolt. About 5 miles to the east. That little shower that passed overhead was now a thunderstorm. The decision was easy. Just one landing today. In fact, I couldn't wait to get her on the ground. More lightning as I turned on final, and I could see the storms to the west coming in quickly. And a crappy landing, too. Sigh.

Adam was just walking out the door as I pulled up to the building. He didn't say so out loud, but I'm sure he was pleased at my decision. I sure was. And then, after I got home about 15 minutes later, the storm came and went, and everything cleared up. Darn the luck.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

/body>