Rich's Quest For Flight


My father was a pilot. He died doing what he loved to do. It has been a goal of my life to become a pilot. Now I have chance to do so. Follow me as I pursue my dream.


Sunday, December 17, 2006

A Mild Day In December

KRYV 171835Z AUTO 29007KT 10SM CLR 06/M05 A3008 RMK AO2

After my solo time last week, it was time for some more scrutiny from Commander Adam. The script today was much the same as it was the last few instructed flights. Get up, clean up, practice flight maneuvers, finished off with takeoff and landing practice.

As has been the trend the last several times we were up, the air maneuvers were just a shade easier and performed a shade better than the previous times. The only hitch came when we initiated an engine out landing over Dodge County Aiport. I was about 1500' AGL when Adam pulled the power, and my initial reaction was to just do a couple of circles over the field before turning base then final so as to lose altitude. But another plane entered the pattern, and Adam directed me to turn to base now. This proved to be a distraction, and while I managed to get it around to final, I was way too high, and by the time I decided to enter a forward slip, it was too late. I was still 300' AGL crossing the threshold, so Adam ordered a go around, and we cleared the pattern to the south.

On the way back I practiced the ground reference maneuvers, and they're coming along much better. A few cross wind landings back at Watertown and we taxied back to the ramp. And so it was. Adam is very satisfied with my airwork. Now it's back to finishing up the oral review preparation and starting on the paperwork for the check ride. Just a couple of more hours to go.

0 Comments:

Add a comment

/body>