Rich's Quest For Flight


My father was a pilot. He died doing what he loved to do. It has been a goal of my life to become a pilot. Now I have chance to do so. Follow me as I pursue my dream.


Saturday, July 26, 2008

Incident at Watertown Municipal


At about 3:45 pm this afternoon, a Cirrus airplane, reported to have 2 aboard, attempted a landing on runway 29 at Watertown Municipal Airport. The airplane appeared to abort the landing and lost control as it tried to climb out, veering to the left and crashing into a row of hangers. It is not known the extent of injuries at this time to those on board or any on the ground. It is very fortunate that the plane crashed there as it just missed crashing into 15 to 20 parked aircraft on the ramp that were assembled in preparation to travel to Oshkosh tomorrow. More information as I get it.

UPDATE: So far it has been reported that 2 people were aboard and both suffered non-fatal injuries although their exact condition is not known. This was a terrifying incident; Watertown was hosting a Piper Comanche gathering, and 3 dozen planes were parked on the ramp just behind my vantage point. Additionally there were several dozen people gathered in the main hanger for a barbeque. It could have been a disaster.

UPDATE 2: The occupants of the plane were a man and his wife. The injuries have been reported as non-life threatening. The plane was a Cirrus SR-22, which is equipped with seatbelt airbags. Those airbags may very well have saved two lives today. Very good news indeed.


Technorati tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Rich: I wish you good luck on your quest for flight...I, too, have dreamed of learning to fly, but it probably will not happen. I did learn to drive a ship, however, so one down! Keep working at it and it will come.

A separate question: In a slide show of the ugliest airports in the world on gadlings blog, the last slide is one of yours. On Flikr, is it id as ELP2. My question: It looks like Washington National's original terminal, where you go throug the long tunnel with rounded roof, and into the circular gate area. Was I close?

(Too many airports in my past, too...)

Pr Chris
USN (Ret)
Thanks for the nice comments. I was not able to find the post you cited, but based on your comment, it sounds like the photo was given attribution, so that's ok.

Your identification of the photo's location is correct. At the time, that's where Midwest Airlines' gate was. I'm sure it was neat when it was new and the airport handled a fraction of the passengers it does now, but today it is well past its sell-by date.

Add a comment

/body>